Thursday, September 25, 2014

Race day goals and candy..


This week I’ve been doing a lot of thinking (I’ve had more down time in the mornings, with tapering and all…;) )  I’ve also been doing a lot of sleeping in a little later than normal…again, since I don’t have to be up as early to run as far!

9 days to go until St. George!!  Taper is in full effect, and as race day gets closer, I think it’s important to have a bunch of different goals for the day of the race.  I read an article awhile back about why we should set a variety of goals.  I can’t find the article ( I HATE when that happens!!!) but it talked about setting goals ranging from an ultimate goal/result you would like from the race, along with other goals that you are directly in control of.
I’ve run enough races to know that they do NOT always go according to plan ;)  Sometimes the weather is bad (too hot, too windy, etc) and it alters your pace, sometimes you get hurt, sometimes you get sick, sometimes you don’t fuel in the way that your body needs, sometimes you have tummy troubles, sometimes you have a fantastic race and PR without even aiming for it, sometimes the race feels like a breeze…ANYTHING can happen on race day, good or bad…anything!!  That’s one of the exciting things about distance races, and that’s why it’s important to have a variety of goals.



My ultimate goals:  To run a sub 3:30, but mainly even to BQ (sub 3:35)
Other race day goals:  Finish, stick to my nutrition plan that morning and not try anything new, start off with the pacer and not go out too fast, fuel when I plan to, even if I don’t “feel like” I need it (stick with what’s worked in training), and don’t forget to relax and have fun!


Today I had more downtime than normal, and so did my sister, so we had a fun morning of shopping and lunch, followed up by a trip to the candy store because I wanted jelly beans.  These things are fantastic, and the best part is being able to choose what flavors you want.  This is a mix of vanilla, strawberry daiquiri, and the sour ones!!




I also came across these today (clearly I need more candy in my life…)  Has anyone tried these?  Are they worth it?? 


 Are you training for any upcoming races?  What are your goals??

No comments:

Post a Comment