Monday, October 6, 2014

St. George Marathon Race Recap



The St. George Marathon is now officially my favorite race ever so far!!!  The entire experience, from the expo, to the organization getting to the start line, to the course support, to the views that make you appreciate life…the most enjoyable race I’ve ever run, and I will definitely be back. 

I trained myself for this race, and put together my own training plan.  My goal for this race was to qualify for Boston, and that moment crossing the finish line knowing I had reached my goal is a moment I NEVER want to forget.  I set out to run a negative split (for those that don’t know, that is when you run the second half of the race faster than the first).  I ran a negative split by 3 minutes, and actually felt good after finishing (I surprised myself with that one).    During training I practiced the negative splits, so I know that helped a lot.
Race weekend started with the expo on Friday morning.  Before that, I ran one last shakeout run first thing in the morning in St. George.  My Garmin drained somewhere during our travels, so I made it about ¼ a mile before it totally died on me.  At that point I decided to just run for a set time vs distance, and maybe it was good that I couldn’t see my pace so I wouldn’t push harder than I should.  This was a quick, easy run, and it felt great.  St. George is gorgeous, and I wish I had more time to spend there!

We spent pretty much all day at the convention center for the expo.  Picked up my bib and shirt, bought some souvenirs, tried some samples, had them re-tape my Achilles with KT tape,  and just explored.  They had a few different clinics throughout the day, and I went to all of them, so that I wasn’t on my feet all day, and also because they were great and gave lots of good info. 


Race day started off early, at 3 am.  I planned on being in the hotel lobby at 4 am to take the first shuttle over to the buses that bused us to the start.  I was wide awake by 2:45, before my alarm even went off.  I always feel like I “half sleep” the night before a race, like sleeping with one eye open.  This race is a point to point race, and the starting line was up in Pine Valley, a good 26.2 miles away J  It was freezing and windy at the start, like really really cold to this Arizona girl.  I had my throwaway clothes on, so pants and a jacket, and even with that and the Mylar blankets they were giving out, it was really cold!!  There were tons of fires to keep people warm, but I didn’t want to deal with crowds yet, so I found my own spot.  There were random cars parked off to one side, so I found a spot behind one of them, along with lots of other people.  The cars blocked the wind and it actually wasn’t too bad!  My bus got up there around 4:55 and the race didn’t start until 6:45, so it was a necessity to figure out how to stay warm.  The race started around 7 am (15 minutes late) so it wasn’t dark for long at all once it began.


The first few miles of the race flew by.  Some rolling hills, but really pretty smooth, and it warmed up quickly so I tossed my jacket at the very start. I held back A LOT at the beginning of the race.  When you are tapered and your legs feel fresh, it’s hard to hold back and I was REALLY itching to speed up.  It felt too easy.  The first part of a race you are supposed to run with your head, and my head knew that to succeed in this one, I had to be smart and save my legs for what was ahead.

 Around mile 7 is where it started to get fun.  The Veyo hill- a LONG climb, with the steepest being the first mile of it. It was cool to see the volcano though.  I think that was the first time I actually ever saw a volcano!!  I ran these miles by effort rather than pace.  I tried to keep a steady effort, similar to the previous miles, to save my legs.  I’m glad I did, because it played in my favor later on.

Around mile 11 or so, my left hamstring started really hurting.  I wasn’t sure if it was just tight, or if something was wrong, so I maneuvered my stride a little to stretch it out and it ended up being just fine. 
The 15 mile marker came and I was amazed that 15 miles had already gone by!  From the start, aid stations every 2 miles with Gatorade and water and fruit. There were 4 (I think there were 4?) stations that offered Clif shots.  I only brought one with me since I knew I could get them on the course.  I stuck with what I had intended to do for my fueling, and my stomach cooperated the whole time.  Yaay!

The last few miles are all through St. George, and there are people pretty much lining the sides the entire way through the city.  It really makes such a difference to hear all the cheering those last few miles.  I was actually feeling pretty okay (hurting a lot, but besides my quads/hamstrings, I was feeling strong), and high fived lots of little kids over those last miles.  I finished in 3:33:01 and I can’t say enough how much I loved loved loved this race!!

Thoughts on this race:
-Holding back at the beginning…SO important, even though my legs wanted to take off.  Don’t do it.  Your legs will thank you later.

-I never hit the wall, probably partly because I didn’t burn myself out at the beginning.  Also, I tweaked my pre-race nutrition and race fueling this time and it worked out.  I ran a big negative split and this race felt strong-stronger than I expected.

-I have to say, I NAILED the water situation at aid stations this time.  I got plenty of water in my mouth, and dumped the rest down my back.  They gave out big cups of water, so there was plenty to drink and dump on you in each cup!  Plus, the water was cold!!!  One station even had ice in the water.

-The only really flat part of the course was through St. George over the last couple of mile.  Definitely a big net decline for this race, but it was not a downhill course!!


Thank you St. George Marathon for a fantastic experience.  I most definitely will be back!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment