Sunday, September 21, 2014

Training your brain, weekend fun, and a yummy recipe



 It’s Sunday, which means rest day and time to catch up!!

I decided to watch Biggest Loser (at least the first few episodes) this season because I was curious how the show was changing, now that there are 2 new trainers.  Last night I watched the episode I recorded on Thursday and Dolvette said something that made me think.  He said “tell your mind to get out of your body’s way,” and it made me think of how important it REALLY REALLY is to train your mind. 


How awesome does it feel when you achieve something you didn’t think you had it in you to achieve?  A new farthest distance run, a new PR, finishing a run you struggled through….anything!  In my experience, the feeling after of pushing through is always worth it, and I’m always glad I did.

Long runs are run to help build aerobic endurance, time on your feet, to practice fueling, etc, but also I think to train your brain.  Just like our bodies, we have to actively train our minds.  There are almost always parts of a race where you doubt yourself, where you have to convince yourself to keep going.  It’s a battle back and forth, but the more times you can “practice” pushing through those TEMPORARY moments of struggle, the more you believe you CAN.  Our bodies can do so much more than our minds think we can, and to do our best, we need to shut down that inner critic.  On many of my long runs, there is at least one point where that voice tries to convince me that I either need to slow way down or stop, that I’m too thirsty and can’t finish, that I can cut it short and make up the distance later, that my goal is too far out of reach, that I’m bored….my mind can fight me pretty hard sometimes, but every time it does, I get stronger when I push through it. It’s not a question of IF I will, it’s a matter of refocusing.  Some things that help me continually train my brain….

Before a run/race:
-Know the course, know when/where I will fuel, know where the hills are, prepare for the weather
-Just get out the door: on training days when I’m struggling to get out the door, thinking about the feeling when I finish vs how I’ll feel if I don’t do it….and once I’m out the door I feel better.

During a run/race:
-Come up with a mantra: “yes I can,” and “you’re okay” are two of mine. Talk to yourself and give yourself pep talks.  Really, they help.
-Break up the run or race into smaller segments of distances that seem more manageable
-Remind yourself that your body is capable and strong enough
-Sing a song in your head, focus on what’s on your iPod, think about what you want do do (or eat) after the run/race is over, actually LOOK at (and take in) your surroundings, focus on your breathing


Some of my weekend….


Watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse with my sweet little niece….




This treadmill….I need it!! 40% incline and -6% decline.  For real.  I saw a NordicTrack infomercial for it, and I think it’s the coolest thing ever!!  Plus, you can run anywhere in the world, via the screen simulator thing.






I tried a new yoga video from Runner’s World this weekend and loved it.  I love yoga, and I love doing it in the comfort of my own home.  Runner’s World has some great, free yoga videos….http://www.runnersworld.com/runners-world-yoga-center




Finally…this recipe.  I got this recipe from a friend, and I make it a lot!  These are “turkey muffins”  and they are healthy and fantastic. 
All the ingredients...



1 package lean ground turkey
¾ c chopped bell peppers
½ c zucchini
¼ c diced tomatoes
2 egg whites
3 Tbsp flax seeds
1 ½ cloves of garlic
½ c old fashioned oats

Mix everything together in a bowl except for the oatmeal.  Once it’s mixed, you add the oatmeal to it.  Divide it into 6 muffin tins (that are sprayed with cooking spray).  Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes, and voila!  I eat them with some brown rice and some veggies, and they fill ya right up!!!


If anyone tries them, let me know what you think!!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm loving the biggest loser this season . I agree 100% that your mind is your biggest obstical. When i was marathon training I figured that out. It's crazy for emotional I got!.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's on tonight and I'm excited!! There are so many emotions tied to running, and I get so emotional as the race gets closer!

    ReplyDelete