Saturday, March 7, 2015

....because I want to run forever





I am as stubborn as they come, so besides being injured (which thankfully right now I'm not), tapering for a marathon and recovering after a marathon are challenging, especially when I’m feeling good.  It’s one week post-marathon, and I did take 4 days off of running (close to what I planned), and have felt good on the days I’ve ran and cross trained. Every person is different in how quickly they take to recover from a marathon, but THIS article talks a lot about the science-y reasons behind what running a marathon does to your body, and why we need to be taking it easy after a race and protecting these bodies we train so hard.

It’s obvious to me like 10 seconds after starting to run post-race, whether or not my legs are ready to run.  There’s this specific type of soreness and tiredness that only ever happens after a full marathon, and if I start running too soon, those muscles tense up and fatigue quickly.  I ran 3 days this week, and each day my legs felt better.  Today they felt totally completely normal, and it was a huge struggle not to pick up the pace.  I haven’t worn my Garmin, and won’t wear it for at least another week or so, but man it’s tempting.  As long as all systems still feel good, I’m looking forward to adding a bit more mileage next week J


 I personally want to be like this yoga instructor into my old age (except with running instead of yoga), and the only way to do that is to run and recover smart...




Random closing thoughts…

Does anyone else think it’s fun that it’s National Cereal Day?  Kroger generic for Life cereal is my favorite, and I personally think it serves as a better snack. Side note: I never actually eat cereal for breakfast, but it’s a favorite for a snack.



Chewing gum while running: yes or no? I ALWAYS chew gum when I run, and I keep the same piece for an entire marathon.  I’m told that’s kind of weird.  Gum-chewers feel free to chime in!!

No comments:

Post a Comment